Social Media in my teaching - Analysis of a Deliberately Cautious Approach


In a previous blog I described some of the issues that I am currently perceiving when reflecting on the use of Social Media in Teaching. In this second post, I will concentrate and reflect a little more deliberately on my own use of social media, and how it helps we to gain access to information that I would potentially otherwise struggle to engage in.   

Social media has huge potential in teaching. As noted in Sharples et al article, "Where the pedagogy is successful, social media can give learners reliable and interesting content, as well as opportunities to access expert advice, to encounter challenges, to defend their views and to amend their ideas in the face of criticism". This I clearly agree with, although I think the first 5 words of that though need to be bolded, italicised, CAPITALISED, and whatever else we can do to emphasize their importance!

Limited Use in my Own Teaching


My own experience is less in using Social Media in my teaching directly, but more in social media, particularly Twitter, to gain helpful contacts, information, strategies and innovations in my teaching. As mentioned in my previous post, I am careful to separate my social media profiles; I have two Twitter and two Facebook profiles to keep a clear separation between home and school. While I am not a prolific tweeter, it is through Twitter that I gain the most benefit. Every day I gain at least two important pieces of information from my followers; usually regarding things that I can disseminate to colleagues through the numerous PD sessions that I run at school.   

In my teaching practice I have been much less active. Facebook is used to help organise the Football team I am involved in coaching, and the subject Association that i am on the Committee of has a small Facebook presence too. In the classroom I am a little reluctant at this stage to engage with social media. I simply do not perceive a value added for me at this stage, perhaps that will change; perhaps not. Currently the challenges out-weigh the benefits. 

Social Media plays an important role in education and teaching. Perhaps when, hopefully next year, I have a larger teaching role at my school, then I will be able to engage more actively with social media in the classroom. My recent infatuation with Social Constructivism probably lends itself, quite tidily, to an increased use of Social Media. Perhaps it is time that I became a more Social, Social Scientist.   


Links

Sharples, M., de Roock , R., Ferguson, R., Gaved, M., Herodotou, C., Koh, E., Kukulska-Hulme, A., Looi,C-K, McAndrew, P., Rienties, B., Weller, M., Wong, L. H. (2016). Innovating Pedagogy 2016: Open University Innovation Report 5. Milton Keynes: The Open University. Retrieved from http://proxima.iet.open.ac.uk/public/innovating_pedagogy_2016.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look out everyone; the Geographers are coming!

From Haggis to Hangi: Cultural Responsiveness in a Proudly Scottish School

Responding to A Professional Context