I'm just a lifelong learner, with a snazzy blog!

Way back in November I wrote a very brief post about why I began this course of study. In that post, I identified two main rationale for doing this: 
  1. To expose myself to a wider range of eLearning strategies; particularly the chance to apply those skills consistently.
  2. To expose myself to more Academic theory around eLearning, and the effectiveness of it to specifically improve student achievement. 
Now that I am at the end of a 32 week Professional Development experience, it is time to honestly reflect on my achievements, and leanings resulting from the efforts I have put in. The first point to make is that the course has kept my interest pretty consistently. I'm pretty stoked with this, as 32 weeks is a pretty big effort, by everyone involved. 

What have I gained from Study? 


Upon reflecting on the two aims above, I think the second has been much more successful than the first. In the first digital course particularly there were times when I struggled to see the applicability of the e Learning strategies and concepts presented for my senior subject; Geography. I don't really feel that that course affected my thoughts or practice particularly. 

The remaining three courses I think were much more beneficial. I really enjoyed the research paper, and am pretty proud of the literature review I wrote, and the questions I raised in it continue to bug me, and shape my thinking. I don't really have a solution yet, but hopefully the implementation of my teaching inquiry later this year will go some way to pointing me in a future direction.

What impact has my learning had on my teaching? 


From the Practising Teacher Criteria and eLearning criteria, I really feel that criteria 6 and 8 are where I have made the most progress. For criterea 6, the learning program that I implemented at L3 was successful and will be adapted and used again this year. Students responded well to the changes,  

Secondly, for 8,  I am much clearer in my thoughts around the role of technology in the classroom - and these thoughts have immediate implications for me, and the nature of my position as the eLearning Integrator ere at the College. In the 1:1 environment in which I teach, my developing understanding of constructivism has helped me to understand more clearly how students can learn more socially, whilst still maintaining the advantages of device use.    

I'm just a lifelong learner, with a snazzy Blog

So, where to from here? Thinking about Rolfe's fancy model, I think I need to hit the 'What Next' phase. I feel that this course has allowed me to articulate my thoughts, and ultimately concerns, about the current implementation of technology in the classroom, and to clarify my thoughts about an appropriate future direction. 

My future in this space is going to be a more deliberate implementation and structured experimentation of strategies to ensure that the social advantages of a classroom is maintained through heavy device use. 

What this means in terms of future professional development, I can't say - but having reengaged with academic literature during this course, you can guarantee that I will continue reading. 
 
I aim to continue this reflective blog too - it won't be every week, as it has been recently, but you haven't heard the last from me. After all, I'm just a lifelong learner, with a snazzy blog!
















Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001).Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look out everyone; the Geographers are coming!

From Haggis to Hangi: Cultural Responsiveness in a Proudly Scottish School

Responding to A Professional Context