Look out everyone; the Geographers are coming!

Really? How interdisciplinary can a Year 13 subject be? What is driving what we do? Why do we let competition for students and competition for assessment grades dictate how we structure our schools, and ultimately how we teach?

Convincing a Skeptic 


We all know that Geography is the most important subject to study. If you don't believe me read this and this as a starter. As a Year 13 Geography teacher, I initially default to a skeptical view of Interdisciplinary studies. Thoughts like "oh, that's something we could try at Y9; perhaps after exams in December when it doesn't really matter if it works" immediately permeate my mind. I wish they didn't.

Increasingly I have been reading, reflecting and talking to teachers who are fostering a far more interdisciplinary approach to their teaching. Is that something I want? What about my assessment results? In my experience, the higher level a class, the more protective a teacher becomes. I am the same, I am happy to innovate with junior classes, but unfortunately I am less so with Y13.

Interdisciplinary by Another Name? 


In saying that though. on reflection there is obviously huge potential to be more interdisciplinary in my proactive. I feel that I am one of a large number of teachers, who perhaps see the benefits, but aren't quite sure how to advance or incorporate it in a meaningful way in the senior years of schooling. A quick sketch of the obviously ways that senior Geography can link with other subject could be a starting point:

Upon completing these musing, I immediately began another. I thought of the last piece of work my class completed; Geographic Research. Was that work already interdisciplinary? I think so:
Is it possible that I am already integrating aspects of interdisciplinary learning already? Is the main attraction of Geography the fact that, by its very nature, that it is an interdisciplinary subject? I feel it is. I always knew us Geography teachers were ahead of the pack!

Connecting with others? 


Whilst I could sit back and reflect smugly that I am already teaching with an interdisciplinary approach, that would be a mistake. Perhaps it is finally time for Geographers to take over. Let's be honest, its been coming. Seriously though - would other staff and faculties benefit from our societal viewpoint to add a bit of realism to their own disciplines? I have, for a while, felt that the links between the Geographers and Economists should be stronger in schools, there is also huge potential for stronger links with the scientists. Why is it that I studied tectonics, geomorphology, atmospheric processes, meteorology and basic geology within the Geography department of the University - but in schools it is in the domain of the 'proper scientists?' 

Look out, the Geographers are coming.    



Comments

  1. In high schools each department is selling and marketing for their own sake.
    No one is thinking what the learners really want to learn.
    We need applied learning curriculum such as STEAM education and every teacher right from Primary to University must be trained as STEAMer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom, that was a good read. Yip, I believe we are often interdisciplinary without putting that name on it. Sometimes it happens by default and other times by collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this Tom -- I recall in high school Geography being thought of as the subject you took if you wanted easier credits than History, Bio, Chem or Physics. Sad. I'd love to see Geo leap ahead in this country by being more real-life relevant and exciting -- perhaps contributing to the body of thinking outside the school -- perhaps in collaboration with local businesses or university research... Imagine you didn't have to cram certain "content knowledge" into NCEA-exam-sitting brains, and you got to co-create knowledge that hasn't been "known" before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience remains as you describe in that first sentence unfortunately. We are real life - students who take it generally love it - and numbers at University are pretty good too. Part of the obstacle is in perception - we are never in the media conversations, and we struggle against the 'Mum want me to be a Doctor Five'; Stats, Calc and 3 Sciences. This is particularly true at Y12 when Geog numbers dive across the country. IT is amazing how many of those students come back in Y13 though.... We are truly interdisciplinary - we just nee to publicize it more.

      Delete
  4. Hi Tom
    Love your Blog. Geography is so under rated in this country. Our curriculum is the envy of most other nations( including the Australians.)
    We look at Natural hazards, global patterns, Population issues, Current geographic issues, Research, sustainability, GIS ....and thats only level 1.

    HOW MORE REAL LIFE DO YOU HAVE TO GET!!!

    Students use a wide range of digital apps and develop such a wide range of skills ...the subject is life changing. Many Geographers go on as Planners, GIS Analysts , Development coordinators

    Our Geography students took away Gold and silver medals at the last two Global Geography Olympiads.

    As our planet is slowly destroyed ask a geographer what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree it is underrated. I still have frustrations every year with parents especially who have no idea what the subject is; yes we have moved beyond maps, capitals and flags. The subject is relevant, contemporary, and extremely academic. I feel that with a bit of publicity, the subject is ready to really take off. I believe that NZ Board of geography Teachers are doing some thinking around this.

      Delete
  5. Well written Tom. As a primary school teacher it is interesting to listen to the conversations taking place at the secondary school level. I have my own children entering the secondary school system and I would love to think that they will be able to work in an environment where the different departments join together to make real life impacts for their students. Your conversation also gets me thinking about the film 'Most Likely to Succeed'. The film explores compelling new approaches that aim to revolutionise teaching as we know it, inspiring school communities to reimagine what students and teachers are capable of doing. The journey has started in our country and some are further along than others - I applaud those who are thinking about making changes towards revolutionalising our school environments and realise that this journey needs to continue across the sectors - early, primary, secondary & tertiary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Haggis to Hangi: Cultural Responsiveness in a Proudly Scottish School

Responding to A Professional Context